22 Nov 2010

Homeless Gallery at Dilston Grove


Yesterday I went to the Dilston Grove gallery, part of the CGP double gallery space in Southwark Park, to pick up a print which had been hanging in the Homeless Gallery exhibition for the past week. This particular installment of the project was organised by Deconstruction Project as part of Photomonth 2010. Deconstruction Project is a non-profit arts organisation dedicated in part to promoting Polish artists and culture. Homeless Gallery is an open-submission group show that has taken place in a number of different locations and guises over the last few years. The Dilston Grove space apparently used to be a church but has been stripped right back to the concrete walls and plank flooring. It's quite spectacular and has a lot of nooks and crannies, making the exhibition interesting to explore. The only problem as far as I can see, is that the gallery is not very well lit. There were, on the private view last weekend, only floor uplighters, while in the day time the high narrow windows don't allow a great deal of natural daylight in.

For me this was a big problem. I exhibited the image at the top of this post. It's by no means a perfect photograph - it needs a good, strong light source to bring out the detail in the left hand side of the subject's face. I couldn't push it further in the print without risking some nasty colour noise. I guess this is one of the pitfalls of exhibiting in a space you don't know and that is not geared to your images.

A couple of the other exhibitors whose work I particularly liked:

Alicja Dobrucka: 'I like you, I like you a lot'
Jonathon Griggs: Untitled, mobile phone series

0 comments:

Post a Comment