26 Apr 2016

The Fear of Crime

I realised the other day that I have never posted anything here about my workshop facilitation and I have the perfect project to put that to rights! 

I recently worked with various teams at Croydon Council, the fabulous photography department at Croydon College and a stellar team of young people to conceptualise and shoot a project on the topic of 'The Fear of Crime'.

Young people often provoke an automatic negative response in others, and are often featured in the news as a faceless mass of bad eggs. 

The team and I wanted to show off the skills and creativity of young people by training them up as studio photographers. We also wanted to encourage others to see their individuality by asking the peers who posed for photos to tell us a little bit about themselves.

The resulting photos were totally stunning and really showed of the personalities of the diverse range of young people that got recruited to be sitters! Each one was shot and edited by the young photographers and I'm so proud of their achievements. 

A set of portraits with captions revealing a little snippet of info - but carefully not matched with any particular portrait so as to challenge the viewers' assumptions - is currently on show at the Click Clock Gallery in central Croydon. Please do stop by to see all their hard work if you are in the area. Here's a little sample to whet your appetite:







Below is a behind the scenes shot of the actual shoot day (thanks to my colleague Ally for this one) as well as a couple of quick videos from my Snapchat of the hanging (follow me there: @kleedale).

0 comments:

Post a Comment