27 Mar 2011

March Against the Cuts 26th March

I have mixed opinions about the politics behind Saturday's protests, and I don't want to go into them too much here. If you're interested in talking with me about it, please post your contacts in the comments section and I'll be happy to outline my views. Anyway, as a result of wanting to be there, to add my presence to the protest, but not really sure whether I wanted to be part of the massed protest without more thought and research, I went along with my camera as an observer. Starting at Hyde Park, I walked back along the march route to Piccadilly Circus before branching off to carry on with my day. Below are a few shots I took of the action.
I loved these two, quietly eating their sandwiches at the end rallying point. It was quite moving to see the range of people who were out and marching to express their feelings.
There were a lot of beautiful old trade union banners in evidence - and a lot of people who clearly had a long history of involvement with protest movements!
I always get riled in Mayfair, with its ostentatious displays of wealth, but never more so than when the barricades are being locked down and designer-clad shop assistants are peering out in distaste. 

1 comments:

Shari said...

Hi Kate, Jessica's mom here. Thank you for posting these photos. Very interesting! I was recently at a similar protest in Denver, and found it much the same. The age range, ethnicities, and passion were also in evidence, and I remarked on it myself. We will have another big protest at City Park, on Monday, and I will post some photos that Jess can shaer with you.

Post a Comment