31 Dec 2010

Happy New Year...introducing Hunt the Pickle

Wow. What a fantastic Christmas game this is and I'm only sorry I haven't posted it sooner. My brother's delightful American paramour Jess joined us for Christmas week, and introduced this tradition to us. You pin a pickle-shaped ornament somewhere in the branches of your tree. Then you all look for it. The first one to find the pickle gets a special prize. Apparently it's a tradition of German-Americans but Jess does admit that she hasn't met any actual Germans who know anything about it. Well folks, lucky me - I was the winner of the 2010 Leedale Pickle Hunt. I think that actually it's fair enough that I won since the prize was some glittery, kitsch-beyond-kitsch Christmas decorations in the shape of American junk food. Hurray! 
Top-bottom, l-r: milkshake, hamburger, hotdog, Philly cheese steak [? not sure about this one],  pretzel,  French fries, pizza, popcorn. God Bless America.
The pickle! 
I hope you've all had a wonderful 2010 and that 2011 proves to be happy, healthy, and productive!

2 comments:

Shari said...

Hi Kate,
Love the pickle post! So glad that you liked the
game and the tacky, kitschy Chirstmas ornaments. We thought they were hilarious; part of the pickle game, at least in our family, is that the prize must be something silly! My mom lived in Germany for one year, and spent the Chrismas holiday there; she said that when she was there, people hung pickles on the tree, and in German-American enclaves, it's part of the Christmas practice. We really love, love, love playing "Find the Pickile!"
Shari Crist
Jessica's mom

Katherine said...

Hi Shari, Happy New Year! I love anything shiny and tacky, it's a real character weakness, and I appreciated the ornaments MUCH more than my mum or brother would have! When Jess first mentioned it I thought she meant that you pinned a real pickle to the tree...which could have got messy. Hope you had a lovely Christmas and thanks for stopping by the blog.

Post a Comment